what are the 10 questions you need to ask yourself before 2010?
Sent Thursday, December 17, 2009
Welcome to the Green Guide, the monthly newsletter
published by Greener Museums. The climate change meetings in
Copenhagen are well underway, though progress is frustratingly
slow. These meetings have certainly captured the imagination and
attention of many in the arts and culture sector. Numerous arts
festivals are underway in Copenhagen, trying to bring new meaning
to the issue of climate change. In fact, this month I had the
opportunity to visit two art exhibits focused on climate
change. Ghost Forest, in Trafalgar Square (pictured above), and
Earth: Art of a Changing Planet, at the Royal Academy in London. It
is interesting to see how arts and culture are picking up these
hugely important issues.
10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before 2010
December is always a time when many of us look back on the year and
take stock of our actions and intentions. I think that we should do
the same for our approach to sustainability. So for this month’s
article, I offer you ten questions to ask yourself about your
organization’s approach and performance on sustainability.
In This Issue
-A note from Rachel
-About Rachel Madan
To your greener future,
Rachel Madan, Director of Greener Museums
Feature Article: 10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before 2010
Don’t worry, it’s not a pop quiz. There’s no time like the present
to start measuring your sustainability progress. You can even share
these questions with a colleague to see if they come up with
different answers. Enjoy, and see you in 2010!
1. Does my organization have a sustainability strategy?
2. Does my organization have policies that help to deliver the
3. Is there a director or senior manager with the responsibility to
deliver the sustainability strategy?
4. If I ask a colleague to tell me about our organizational approach
to sustainability, will they be able to answer me?
5. Did we do an environmental assessment this year?
6. Have we identified our significant causes of environmental
7. Do our visitors know about what we are doing to go green?
8. Have we looked into greening our procurement?
9. Did we set sustainability performance targets?
10. How did we perform against our intentions?
I hope this list gives you some food for thought about some of the
areas you may want to begin exploring in 2010. Until then, have a
great rest of 2009!